The Hardenbergh Foundation focuses its community support on charitable organizations serving individuals located in the East Twin Cities Metro Area.
General Operating Support: Grants are within the discretion of the Board of Directors, but generally are made in the range of $10,000 to $25,000 for general operating support. The Hardenbergh Foundation does not make multi-year commitments.
First time applicants are encouraged to contact Tammy Davis Cownie at email@example.com to introduce themselves and their organization to learn more about Hardenbergh Foundation priorities and clarification of the application process.
Capital Campaign: The Board of Directors awards several capital grants each year. These gifts generally are made in the range of $50,000 to $250,000. Most capital grants are paid in full in the year they are approved. The Board is not likely to be influenced by matching grant opportunities, offers of multiple-year payments or naming rights.
All capital grant applicants should arrange a meeting with Tammy Davis Cownie to introduce the campaign and outline its budget, timeline, and dedicated funders.
Grant applications must be received by October 15th. Applications postmarked by the 15th but received after the deadline may not be considered. All applications must be submitted hard copy via U.S. mail or other delivery service. Electronic submissions will not be considered. For hand delivery, a drop box will be placed outside the main door of the building from October 10-15.
We do not have a specific application form. A succinct three-to-five-page letter describing your organization and current grant request is preferred. In preparing your grant submission, please include detailed information regarding:
- the amount of the request;
- the need being addressed;
- how your organization is meeting that need;
- the demographic of your clientele;
- the number of individuals served by your program;
- the geographic region covered; and
- how Hardenbergh Foundation grant money would make a difference to your organization and clientele.
- For capital requests, include a detailed budget for your project and a report of funds raised to date.
In addition to the grant request, please be sure to include:
- your contact name and mailing address;
- your organization’s IRS tax exemption 501(c)(3) determination letter;
- your audited financial statement or Internal Revenue Service form 990 and unaudited financial statement; and
- information regarding your primary funding sources.
Please print your application letter single-sided and avoid using staples.
Application Review Process
The Hardenbergh Foundation Board of Directors meets the first week in December to consider grant requests. Approximately 150 grants are made each year. Due to limited resources, the Board is not able to fund all requests. Successful applicants will receive their grant award by December 15th. Those applicants who will not be receiving awards will receive a declination letter within this same time frame.